
I keep holding out until I have more time to write something longer, something that can capture all of the significance of these last few months. But I realize two things: there may
never be more time--and that by waiting, I might miss all the little things I don't want to forget:
- Celie's transition from a crawl to a walk to a fast-paced run (especially when playing one of her favorite games: chase!);
- her exuberance for dogs. She's fearless and gentle and genuinely intrigued...
- the mix of daring and caution with which she approaches new skills--carefully strategizing her descent from tall chairs and coffeetables onto which she so proudly climbs.
- her love of dancing, for which she has quickly become famous at school (her legs start moving before I even set her down...just start singing and that booty shakes!);
- her kisses, (which are puckered and non-stop when she's in the mood--giving wet ones to books, her bunnies, her shopping cart, and us, especially if we pretend we're sleeping);
- her extreme intelligence (imagine my pride when the teacher pulled me aside to tell me that she knows more animal sounds than any other kid in the class!);
- her sly little looks and the sweet smiles that follow when she knows she's got something she's not suppose to have...
- the feel of her warm little body each night when we rock, singin' Blackbird, Silent Night, and Sweet Baby James...
and mostly, her enthusiasm for each new day.