6.22.2013

Day at the Sea

Today we met the English Speaking Kids Association at Grande Motte, a beach town on the Mediterranean. I was so happy the kids had some time with others their age, and happy for myself to simply sit in the sun without having to play or get buried. 
Fionn rolled right in with Louie pretending to be a dinosaur and Celie fell right in with the girls making sand castles and telling secrets. "There's one thing you should know about me," I overheard her say, "I'm always telling jokes." I loved this, as its not how I would describe Celie--but how she sees herself. 
Following this, the kids were psyched to find some things to jump on nearby and again, an unexpected reversal. Wild and usually outgoing Fionn opted for the tamer bounce while Celie couldn't wait to fling herself into the clouds. And this got me thinking about an important lesson I need to remember: not to pigeonhole them into types too tightly. I have to remember that being their parent, and especially in the context of our family, I only know part of their lives. My cautious Celie might just be a daring class clown while my funny Fionn will always have his moments of holding back, too.