As if Fionn's recent haircut didn't do enough to make him look like an ultimate street fighter, he's now got the official Mickey Rourke barfight gash to prove it. The upside, though, is that we now know how Fionn reacts to nitrous. "Most kids get very quiet and kind of scared," the nurse warned us beforehand, "and in some cases, they tend to thrash. He ain't gonna like it, but don't worry: it won't hurt after the first shot." But Fionn?
He giggled as the honkin' two-inch-long needle wiggled its way under his skin. He made sweet eyes while the hooks were threaded. He talked the entire ten minutes of the gorey procedure, reciting full episodes of Thomas the Train, describing in detail our family tree, and inquiring quite sincerely as to the doctor's personal life.
"Hey, you got two or three kids? Because my Mommy has a sister named Jenny and I have a sister named Celie and she's always taking my toys. Do you know Percy? He falls into a muuuudddddy ponnnd and Gordon has to help him out...it's funnnnny. Do you know ReRe? You know Judge is my uncle? Oh, wait. No. Hey you know on my birthday when I grow up I'm gonna be three...." And on and on and on, like the little Shakespearian bard we know him to be--so much so that even squeamish Daddy who'd stepped outside when needles were drawn actually ventured back in, unsure as to why everyone was laughing out loud.
"Is this normal?" I asked, wondering if all parents were treated to similar streams of consciousness.
"Oh, no," smiled the nurse on duty, "I can safely say we've never had a kid react like this," an observation made all the more poignant as Fionn declared the whole thing 'FUN!' while the doctors wrapped it up.
"I think you've got stand-up comedian on your hands," she continued, and I could by the way they all shook their heads: he wasn't the only one left in stitches.

