This weekend I overheard Celie (and then Fionn, following his sister's example) making fun of our mailman's coat. True, he did look alot like an 'oooh, ooh, duckie duck' in his oversized raincoat, but noone needs to be taunted so, especially in the pouring rain.
"Celie! Did I just hear what I think I heard??? Come in here this minute."
I sat them down on the bottom step (where all misdeeds are addressed) and expressed my disappointment in their behavior as well as the concept of bullies. I explained the value of respect and that teasing is something we McKays simply do not do--reiterating that if not for our beloved mailman, packages from Grandma would exist no more.
"Do know how hard he works? Six days a week he comes to our neighborhood...in the rain. In the snow! Even in the blazing heat he walks for miles every day around this town, all just to bring us our mail. That man works hard--alot harder than you, my loves--so I suggest you start showing some gratitude instead of making him feel sad about the length of his long, baggy jacket."
All eyes were on me. "Now, the punishment."
Fionn was sent to clean up his trains while Celie stayed with me.
"Now you need to sit down and write that dear man a Thank You letter, telling him how much you appreciate what he does for our family. And I mean this to be the best drawing you've ever made."
After concentrating for a little while, she brought me a portrait of her, the mailman, and our house. I inspected the work.
"Nope, I'm sorry. It's just not good enough. He deserves a little more." After all, nothing wrong with a few expectations.
So after a few more thoughtful minutes she returned, walking me through the flowers, the tree, our red front door, and of course the pink package containing gifts from Grandma.
"Now it's time for some words. What would you like to say?"
And with that, I told her I was satisfied and that I never wanted to hear anything but kindness again.
"I promise, Mommy."

