11.23.2007

Locks of Love

Well, I did it! After nearly 2 years of more than my share of awkward hair days and a fortune in expensive cremes and conditioners, I've finally been able to check "Donate hair to Locks of Love" from my Life's To-Do List. This was no small task. As anyone with thick, curly, coarse and somewhat unruly hair knows, my kind of mop grows out before it grows down. Not only that, as it lengthens so too does what Mike lovingly refers to as my "aura:" that frizzy billow of flyaways that hovers like a halo an inch from my head.

At first I wasn't sure I should go through with it, fearing I might be given a "Mom-cut." This was the very reason I opted for just a trim when Marie treated me to a haircut only weeks after Celie was first born. Not knowing if my hormones were bound for a crash, I figured I'd better not rock the boat with any drastic changes within my control. But it being November, and in honor of my new niece Lily's arrival, I decided what the heck. It's something I've always wanted to do and it just seemed like the right time. Not to mention I'd finally reached their minimum length: a 10" ponytail.

It feels good knowing that some little girl out there will get a wig made from my hair, although I must admit there is a small part of me that hopes I've done the right thing. My oldest friends can testify that I have the world's best collection of bad school photos primarily because of my hair, a trait that earned me the very painful nickname "Brillohead." But I'm sure this is nothing compared to the courage it takes to fight cancer and survive in the face of losing one's hair at such a young age. I just hope whoever gets mine has parents who understand the indispensable value of gel.

For more information on how you can donate to Locks of Love, please visit their website at: http://locksoflove.org