
Getting away always feels good, especially when it includes a change in temperature or time. Needing a break from New Orleans and feeling a bit homesick for fall leaves and cool weather, I surprised my parents with a sponteneous visit to Chicago. I was happy to be the
second reason they were thrilled. It was Celie's first visit to Grandma and Grandpa's house and a great feeling to be in Glen Ellyn. My mom was totally prepared with a crib, play gym, bouncy seat, and of course, what every good Midwestern kid needs: a giant snowsuit. It swallowed Celie like pink fluffy quicksand until just her tiny head peeked out. Although I suspected wearing such a suit might be a bit overkill, I finally relented under the pressure of my mom's considerable obsession with Celie's thermal comfort. "I'll simply
die if she catches a cold while she's here," she kept repeating, "Michael will never let her visit again." Don't worry, Grandma...Celie loves Chicago!

Throughout the visit my Dad took several opportunities to share secrets with Celie, no doubt schooling her on the wiley ways of squirrels. He is currently engaged in an epic battle with a cadre of the critters who consistently outsmart his efforts to barracade the birdfeeder. In return, Celie treated him to a series of squeals and squishy thumb sounds as she shameless lolled her tongue around in ever more impressive swirls.

The best part of the trip, however, was the 5-1/2 hour stretch of sleep I enjoyed not once, but twice while away. You see, unlike all of the imaginary babies in those parenting books that "sleep 9-10 hours a night by the 16th week," our little girl hasn't gone more than 3-1/2 hours at a stretch.
Ever. So, you can imagine my surprise when I woke up at 4am feeling all bright eyed and bushy tailed with almost 6 hours under my belt. At first I was sure it was due to the fact that Celie had slept in my bed, a practice we normally never allow but something that had become necessary earlier in the night after the power went out and our room froze over. But alas, she did it again the following night.

That morning after I described in detail the rarity of such heavenly slumber, my Mom had a plan. "Celie," she said as our girl looked on, "I'll tell you what. You're mom needs sleep. You've been on Central Celie
time for the last 4 months, but now it's time to switch zones." And like that,
Eastern Elizabeth time was invented. I'll spare you the hour by hour schedule, save to say that it involves a clock and every night since the girl's gotten sleep--and by that, I mean both of us, all of us, Celie, Mike and me.

And while we still don't let her sleep in our bed at night, we have taken to a new ritual. Each morning, we scoop Celie up from her crib and bring her in with us for that last morning snooze. We watch her quietly as the sun rises before the workday begins and I'm reminded of how sometimes being at home is as nice as getting away. It's just an hour, but it makes a huge difference in my day. I call it
daylight savings in EE time--and the happiest reason to lose sleep.