Well, I'm not sure where to begin. This weekend was so amazingly full and special, Celie surrounded by so many people who love her. Ever since she was born, there are a few things I’ve always said to her and one of them is: “Celie, you are so loved by so many people. There are people who haven’t even been born yet who will fall in love with you one day.” And this weekend I felt like she was finally able to see what I mean.
My entire family came in from
I knew immediately who
She went on to say, as everyone did that day, that Pam’s griades and grits were to die for, as was the red velvet cake, the carrot cake, and the homemade chocolate chip cookies. I consciously had to repeat to myself: I will not run away with all of these and eat them without saving any for the others. I will not run away with all of these and eat them without saving any for the others. I did, however, (somewhat secretly), ask Colleen to remind me that I’d stashed one square of carrot cake and a cookie in a Tupperware among the flat pans in the cabinet above the oven. I’d once forgotten about a turkey in my stove only to find it 5 weeks later, blue and covered in moldy fuzz and didn’t want to inflict this same horror upon my in-laws; nor did I want such delicacies to go to waste. As Mike says about the beignet: you never leave a man behind.
And that’s the best part about being in
The other, highlight, of course, was Miss Celie. In her gold slippers, special linens and jewelry, she was the truly the belle of the ball. A silver pin with her name on it from Mamere, a gold pin with a heart and the Virgin Mary from me, an Irish lace bib given to her by Kay, and a gold bracelet that we thought was mine, but turned out to be Jenny’s when we discovered her name engraved on the rim...she was decked out in her baby bling.
Dressing her was the first of a few teary moments—the other being each time I heard Father Finn say her full name, Cecelia Violet. Somehow it sounded all the more miraculous, hearing him say it with such mystery and meaning attached. But there she was in the Soniat Christening gown, which one would have thought was brand new but for its luxuriously soft texture, that quality and feel only well-loved heirloom linens have.
Once at the church we waited as Father Finn prepared for the ceremony, which began to the sound of Celie fervently sucking on Mike’s thumb. It was beautiful service in which Father Finn called upon each of our saints: St. Cecelia, St. Michael, and St. Elizabeth of Seton, although I must admit I'm not sure who she is. He also wished for Celie Mike’s “dancing eyes” and my “gentleness.” This made me happy, as I have often looked at the roundness of Celie’s thighs and wondered what else I can give her along the way.
The after-party at Marie’s and Jim’s was fabulous, with great food and even better conversation. Celie and Clara finally had a chance to catch up and compare notes, while Austin, Molly, and Maddie continued their work doing twirls and webbing people.
As expected, Aunt Laurie provided Celie with lots of lovin’, but unlike last visit, she had some serious competition this time around. “Where’s the baby?” she’d ask, a look of sheer determination on her face, while across the room, Steve sized up how to best steal Celie from Aunt Jenny’s arms. Meanwhile, a cool Aunt Colleen simply sat back in her rocker and watched. “I just let them hash it out,” she said. “Babies all come to me when they’re three. I’m a monkey.”
I was happy that my parents each got some Celie-time, too, seeing as
For me personally, the most triumphant moment of the day came when Mrs. Ann Fitzmorris pulled me aside to comment on my first-ever shrimp mold. An intimidating task it was: not only to make my seafood debut with such a discerning crowd, but doing so at such an auspicious event and with such a tried classic. So, you can imagine how my heart swelled with pride when, holding my arm, she whispered what Mike later told me is the ultimate
Because believe me, I had my doubts the night before. Not only had I never handled gelatin, I worried that the shrimp I’d bought might somehow not be quite right, seeing as there was something just a little off about the packaging. “What kind of a messed up state of
All in all, it was a glorious day. We ended the night by opening the many special gifts that Celie received as she fell fast asleep, cozy and warm. And as she sits beside me now using the big wooden beads of her new practice Rosary to rub her gums, I can’t help but think how lucky we are. If there’s such a thing as heaven on earth, part of it was found on Sunday—good friends, great food, Saints win, and Celie’s soul all wrapped into one. Can I get an Amen!














