9.04.2007

Travelin', Baby

Labor Day weekend, Celie and I flew to Nashville for my cousin's wedding and she was an excellent travel companion. In typical fashion, she slept almost the entire way--once again earning her title of "Street Angel, Home Devil." On landing, she started to stir and I feared her ears were popping. I'd been told to feed her if this started to happen, as the sucking instinct would relieve her pain. I was blessed to be seated next to a father of six who laughed when I warned him that if she started to cry, he might be seeing more of me than he bargained for. Luckily, the pacifier seemed to suffice.

Once to the Marriot, we also discovered that like her father, Celie is a sucker (no pun intended) for nice hotels. She seemed right at home on the big cushy beds where she treated us all to a new phrase. For a week or so now, she's been saying this one particular sound which might be spelled like this: 'aarhow.' But this weekend on several different occasions, she repeated that sound four times in a row, each time in the same way, in the same happy mood. There's no doubt this means something very specific to her, although I'm not sure what.

The funniest part is that if you say it to her, she'll say it back. Steve and Celie had quite an engaging conversation this way, the two of them just going on and on, Celie smiling, sure she'd finally gotten through to those crazy big people who otherwise seem so slow. Because that's the thing about Celie: you just get the feeling she knows more than the rest of us and she's just waiting for us to catch on.

p.s. there's a video of this to the right...see 'Aarhow!'