4.03.2013

Keeper

There's a scene Mike's described to me a number of times over the years, usually whenever the topic of playing sports and parenthood come up. It's the image of his Dad walking round and round, pacing the track while Mike played soccer; how his Dad could never sit still, passive with the other parents simply watching the game, but instead had to do something with his nervous, competitive energy...so he walked.  Round and round until the game was won. 
I love this story, not only because I can totally see the Judge gettin' all into the competition and therefore needing some productive outlet for the stress--but for what it says about how a parent can feel so intensely the anxiety/excitement/investment/fear/nervousness/desire their kid is feeling on game day--whatever that game in life might be.   
Now for me, many things can inspire this kind of vicarious emotion but I'll say '5 and under sports' and other 'activities designed for fun' aren't what I'd consider nailbiters. But for someone I know?  It wasn't until soccer season that this whole little scene from Mike's memory came full circle: There he was behind the goal apart from the chatting crowd, watching his girl dribble down field. 

It may be something about fathers or maybe athletes--but the only thing that pulled him off the sideline during those 45 freezing minutes was Fionn's request for snuggles.  But one thing is for sure.

Mike is a great Dad.  The kind of Dad who doesn't miss a practice or a game.  The kind of Dad who worries whether his kids will be safe at gymnastics camp and therefore decides to work on his laptop in the lobby for the first day, just to check things out. Whereas I tend to trust ("It's fine, tons of kids go, I'm sure they'll have plenty of instructors,") Mike tends to question the details I overlook ("but what about when Fionn has to potty? Who's taking him to the restroom? How many instructors per kid?")   

And I love this about him.  It's his nature. He's precise, he's watchful, he's cautious, he protects. He's a goalkeeper, after all.  He's in the back there ready so his team can be out there free.  My kids are so very lucky.