3.05.2012

Snow Day

Well, it finally snowed this season after what has been perhaps the mildest winter on record.  I'm not sure if I should rejoice or live in fear, as my electrician warned me last week "the Bible says we won't know one season from the next when the end is near."  Regardless, Celie was *thrilled* this morning when she awoke to the whiteness of the neighborhood.  Without stopping to eat breakfast (her usual first demand), she ran outside in her PJs and boots to make tiny tracks in the front lawn.  When Mike came down she was giddy to hear his sure sense that fairies-elves must've visited our house last night.  "Daddy!" she led him along, "Yea, I know! and look!  They must have danced in the backyard, too!"  Again, she gave that knowing glance that sent a clear message, 'Don't spoil it for him now...he's soooo excited!'
After dropping Daddy at work and cleaning up, it was time for cartoons. Part of me felt bad for plopping them in front of the TV for two hours, but alas, I do have a job despite appearances.  But soon enough, the blue skies could no longer be ignored by any of us, so we made our way outside.  Celie was thrilled for the chance to build her first snowman of the year, emphasizing her strong belief in tradition:  "He must have a carrot and two rocks for eyes" (I didn't mention it's coal...) and of course "some Mardi Gras beads!!"  

Being from Chicago, I took great joy in passing along my hard-earned winter wisdom. "Celie, this is perfect packing snow. When I was a little girl...." though I'm not sure she heard the rest as she was too busy trying to rationalize the inevitable acorns that lodged into our snowman's gut.  I could tell this offended her purist view until finally a brainstorm struck:  "I know...he can be a dalmationman!"  And all was well.
Fionn, on the other hand, had a rougher go--though I'm not sure he realized. After biffing it onto the ground in perhaps the deepest, dirtiest puddle available, he happily called out what can only be described as the best understatement of the year:  "Hey, Maaaaaaammmiiieeee....I got some mud on my pants."  And like that, they both got what they've been waiting for all season. A perfect winter's day.