10.13.2011

A Good Artist

My Mom has a saying she likes to repeat whenever anybody cooks in her kitchen:  "A good cook always cleans up after herself."  I feel the same way about art supplies.  So today, school canceled, I spent the day facilitating various crafts with the kids and tried impart to them a consciousness and respect for the tools. "A good artist always takes care of her things" I repeated, sure this was some kind of profound teaching moment.  My Mom would be so proud!
Much to my delight, Celie latched onto the mantra with great pride--an attitude only bolstered when I took her aside to introduce the until-now-off-limits...pencil sharpener.  "Celie, I think you're old enough now," I began before showing her my best techniques for ensuring the finest yet sturdy point.  She's a quick study with things that intrigue her and exacting (like her father) when it comes to precision.  One by one she took them from the line and buzz, buzz, buzzed them into the next: a perfect row of rainbows.