A few years ago, my mom and I were shopping when we came across some old vintage earrings in a second hand store. Because most of them were missing beads or mates, the lady at the counter offered me the entire lot for a song. Not knowing what I'd do with them, but sure they were too good to pass up, I asked my mom to spot me the few dollars they cost. Instead, she offered to buy them for me on one condition: I had to make something with them within the year or else I had to pay her back. "Motivation," she said. Plus, they were pretty.For years now, I've carried them around with me in my box of crafty things, along with a zillion other seemingly useless knick-knacks like pinecones and pebbles and too many scraps of colorful paper--items that stir in me a mix of both excitement and anxiety. On the one hand, having such a collection inspires my imagination, as I can't help but see each little jewel as a project, a possibility. On the other, they are a reminder of all the things I want to do but can never find the time for; the earrings especially so, as they were given to me as a kind of creative I.O.U.
So while it's long overdue, I finally made good on my promise and would like to once again thank my mom for encouraging my occupation as a pack rat of strange and wonderful finds. Everyone loved the belt!
