5.09.2009

Blessing

Tonight while putting Celie to bed I sneezed three times, to which she looked up from my arms and responded, "Bless you, Mommy!"  I just couldn't help but bust out laughing, hugging her, shaking my head with huge smile, if only because it took me by such surprise--not unlike my reaction when a 6 month Celie picked up a cellphone, put it to her ear and started bobbing her head back and forth babbling, "La-la-la-la-la-la-la!"

We've certainly never tried to teach her this phrase and I've never heard her say it before...but it just goes to show two things:
  • children, by nature, are so very loving...
  • ...and just what an incredible amount they pick up simply through osmosis.
Sure, we read books, we sing ABCs, and we're onto emphasizing "please" whenever she asks for something specific.  But "Bless you?"  These are the things that simply emerge, mysteriously; evidence of observation and a reminder for us, as parents, to watch what we say and more importantly, how we treat one another.  

For instance, the other day:  I can't tell you how happy I felt when Celie pointed to the Marc Chagall characters in her Art Show DVD and said with such certainty, "Daddy and Mama!" as if there was no doubt that the picture could depict anyone but us.  Like most married couples, we don't always feel the constant bliss captured in great painting, but it's nice to know that the one person who might be most affected by our relationship sees it as a good one.

But mostly, the primary thought that ran through my head tonight was, "God...What a sweet, sweet girl."  A blessing, indeed.