1.19.2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Every afternoon when we pick Celie up from school (our preferred name for 'daycare'), we find in her cubby a report card that outlines the highlights of her day:  how well she ate (usually 'Fair' or 'Not Well;' 'Well' is only rarely checked, and usually only when spaghetti is served), how many bowel movements she had, and random comments that give a sense of her overall tenor.  Most days, the comment is the same:  "Celie had a good morning!"

Occasionally, however, there'll be written something more specific, like "Celie enjoyed circle time" or "Celie had fun playing in fellowship hall." I always love when I get these kinds of reports--I save each one in a file despite my understanding that this may just be going overboard--primarily because its like a little window into Celie's 'outside' world: the person she is on her own, independent of Mom and Dad.  I love learning who she is, what she likes and how she responds to those situations that don't include me--like her fearlessness when confronted with Santa (when all the other kids cried) or her innate sensitivity and calm.  "Oh, she's just...precious," Ms. Sharron once replied when I asked about Celie's demeaner in class.  "And she's whip smart.  I know four year olds who don't know all their colors!"

Until recently, my favorite comment was one that both Mike and I found rather cryptic: "Celie had a fairly good day!!", an underlined 'fairly' and the double exclamation points seeming somewhat at odds.  Last Monday, however, I received a report that came as no surprise, yet filled my heart with such happiness, a kind of deep down contentment, or perhaps, more accurately, a connectedness.  I suppose you can chalk it up to that narcissitic instinct all parents might suffer to some degree: wanting your child to love the same things you love, the desire to see something of yourself resonate in those you hold most dear.  

Either way, I'll admit, there was a part of me that smiled big inside--knowing, of course, I want Celie to be who she is--but at the same time so happy to learn, "Celie really enjoys doing art!"