5.06.2008

Your Catfish Friend

Some of my favorite poems are about fish.  I was reminded of this rather odd truth on Saturday during Celie's first visit to the aquarium. The blueness, the silent strangeness, the ribbon-like rhythm of shimmering fisssshhhhhh...Even the word sounds like the sea.
Here are a couple of my favorites.  The first, by Richard Brautigan:

  Your Catfish Friend

If I were to live my life
in catfish forms
in scaffolds of skin and whiskers
at the bottom of a pond
and you were to come by 
            one evening
when the moon was shining
down into my dark home
and stand there at the edge
            of my affection
and think, "It's beautiful 
here by this pond.  I wish
somebody loved me,"
I'd love you and be your catfish
friend and drive such lonely
thoughts from your mind
and suddenly you would be
            at peace,
and ask yourself, "I wonder
if there are any catfish
in this pond?  It seems like
a perfect place for them."

And another, simply titled The Fish, by Elizabeth Bishop.  Enjoy!

       I caught a tremendous fish
       and held him beside the boat
       half out of water, with my hook
       fast in a corner of its mouth.
       He didn’t fight.
       He hadn’t fought at all.
       He hung a grunting weight,
       battered and venerable
       and homely. Here and there
       his brown skin hung in strips
       like ancient wallpaper,
       and its pattern of darker brown
       was like wallpaper:
       shapes like full-blown roses
       stained and lost through age.
       He was speckled with barnacles,
       fine rosettes of lime,
       and infested
       with tiny white sea-lice,
       and underneath two or three
       rags of green weed hung down.
       While his gills were breathing in
       the terrible oxygen
       — the frightening gills,
       fresh and crisp with blood,
       that can cut so badly —
       I thought of the coarse white flesh
       packed in like feathers,
       the big bones and the little bones,
       the dramatic reds and blacks
       of his shiny entrails,
       and the pink swim-bladder
       like a big peony.
       I looked into his eyes
       which were far larger than mine
       but shallower, and yellowed,
       the irises backed and packed
       with tarnished tinfoil
       seen through the lenses
       of old scratched isinglass.
       They shifted a little, but not
       to return my stare.
       — It was more like the tipping
       of an object toward the light.
       I admired his sullen face,
       the mechanism of his jaw,
       and then I saw
       that from his lower lip
       — if you could call it a lip —
       grim, wet, and weaponlike,
       hung five old pieces of fish-line,
       or four and a wire leader
       with the swivel still attached,
       with all their five big hooks
       grown firmly in his mouth.
       A green line, frayed at the end
       where he broke it, two heavier lines,
       and a fine black thread
       still crimped from the strain and snap
       when it broke and he got away.
       Like medals with their ribbons
       frayed and wavering,
       a five-haired beard of wisdom
       trailing from his aching jaw.
       I stared and stared
       and victory filled up
       the little rented boat,
       from the pool of bilge
       where oil had spread a rainbow
       around the rusted engine
       to the bailer rusted orange,
       the sun-cracked thwarts,
       the oarlocks on their strings,
       the gunnels — until everything
       was rainbow, rainbow, rainbow!
       And I let the fish go.