4.03.2008

My Old Kentucky Home

Now that I have broken the news to my dear mother-in-law Marie, I feel it's safe to share the news with everyone:  Mike and I have been called back to Kentucky.  After almost 2 years of living in New Orleans to direct the KNOA Studio, the administration at UK has finally pulled the plug.  

When I first got word, I burst into tears.  Not to my boss, of course; I was at least able to maintain my 'I'm a team player, sir' attitude on the phone, something that I know is professionally correct yet at times totally annoying because what I really wanted to yell was "Noooo!" I did manage to get out a somewhat firm, "Well, I'm disappointed in the decision," but somehow I didn't know what else to say.  Seeing as it's a done deal, I didn't see much point in arguing.  

Budget cuts, he said.  It's out of my hands, he explained.  Every college on the campus is having to tighten their belt and I'm afraid we just can't afford to have 2 of our full-time faculty away any longer.  

Not that I'm totally disappointed about moving back to Kentucky--I really do love it there, perhaps even more than I realized before leaving. It's just that we've worked so hard, invested so much, and truly envisioned another year of having our program and our lives here last.  

But, as Mike says, no use in getting down.  Kentucky is, after all, where we met.  It's where we fell in love and where we cooked up the first of our many big plans.  Most of all, we can be proud that after the storm we actually got up and did something.  "We put our money where our mouths are," he says.  Now, it's time to go home.

There's much more to say, but I'm not sure how.  For now, I'll leave it at lists...

Ten things I will miss about living in New Orleans:
1.  Dinner at the Judge and Marie's every Sunday with Jimmy, Christine, Austin and Lily, not to mention all the others who randomly stop by, with special tears for Judge's cabbage, Corrine's red beans and rice, and Marie's blue cheese and avocado salads. 
2.  Music, music, music...Kermit Ruffins on Thursdays, street musicians in the Quarter, WWOZ.  So many reasons to dance. 
3.  Food, food, food...Chocolate cake at Marigny Brassiere (which got my through the 7th, 8th, and 9th months of my pregnancy), crawfish boils, and of course, beignets.
4.  The friendly employees and soundtrack at Dorignac's.
5.  Coffea, my neighborhood coffeeshop.
6.  New friends that are starting to feel like old friends.
7.  Total professional freedom.
8.  Waking up to the sounds of ships and the Natchez River Boat floating down the Mississippi.
9.  Telling people who ask me where I live, "I live in New Orleans."
10.  Seeing my daughter being passed around at big family parties on a near weekly basis and knowing she's part of a clan.

Ten things I will look forward to about living in Kentucky:
1.  Spending time with old friends who are still some of our best friends.
2.  Food, food, food...Missy's pie, Alfalfa's brunch, and Portofino's tiramisu.
3.  Walking to beautiful parks and driving along rolling green hills, not to mention the increased possibility of finding a horseback riding instructor who doesn't scare the daylights out of me.
4.  Going to work on campus and having more than one colleague.  
5.  Four full seasons that don't include "Sweat your ass off until you think you might die."
6.  Being closer to my parents, only 6 hours away by car.
7.  Bluegrass, bourbon, and opening day at Keeneland.
8.  Camping at the Red River Gorge or out at my friend's farm.
9.  Telling people who ask me where I live, "I live in Kentucky," and then watching them search for something to say.
10.  Having a great place to visit for big family parties and knowing we are a part of a clan.
  
With these things in mind, I'm excited for what's to come...but in the meantime, New Orleans, let the good times roll!

To check out our mission and the work we've completed to date at the KNOA Studio, please visit our website at: 
http://design.uky.edu/knoa/KNOA/Welcome.html