8.07.2007

Keeping Things Whole

In graduate school, I took a class where the professor assigned each student a poem that she believed "held some meaning" for each person. This poem, by Mark Strand, is the one she gave me:

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and
always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

It's been a year since our move to New Orleans and a month since the birth of our dear Celie. So much has happened, it's hard to keep track. New Orleans is both a difficult and inspiring place to live and having a child seems somewhat the same: difficult and inspiring all at once. I've decided to start this blog in order to record some of the coming year. This city, this baby, our lives, my tribe...We're never sure what comes next, just trying to keep things whole.